By Andrew JonesPosted on August 21, 2018 06:14:38The world’s second biggest restaurant group has confirmed it is phasing out the cheapest Chinese takeaway restaurant option in Australia.
In a statement, Chinese takeaway chain Joe’s takeaway confirmed it would stop offering the cheapest menu option to its customers starting with the end of the year.
The news comes after a series of headlines including one in the Sydney Morning Herald which suggested Joe’s was phasing in the cheapest takeaway option in the country.
However, the company says it is not phasing the menu option out entirely.
“While we will continue to offer our customers a more affordable and flexible menu option, we have made the decision to phase out the menu at this time,” the statement said.
Joe’s has already phased out the Chinese takeaway option on its menus in several markets in Australia, including Melbourne and Perth.
While the move has been welcomed by many restaurant owners, it has sparked concern from some who have said it could make it harder for some of Australia’s biggest and most popular eateries to keep their top customers happy.
Joe’s had previously announced it was phasifying out the Asian takeaway menu, but the chain says it will not be phasing it out entirely as a result of the latest news.
A spokesperson said the decision was taken “to allow the market to develop to ensure the best possible service for customers”.
“It’s a decision that’s taken with the benefit of hindsight and in line with the industry-wide changing landscape and changing dining experience,” the spokesperson said.
“We are committed to serving our customers the best food possible and we have taken the opportunity to address the need for a flexible and affordable menu option for our customers.”
“With the rollout of the new ‘Chef’ service, customers will be able to select from a wide range of cuisines to their liking, including Asian, Mexican, Greek, Mediterranean, American and European flavours.”
The statement added that Joe’s would be phasified out of the “chef” menu option in Melbourne, but customers in Sydney and Adelaide would be able “to continue to use their preferred menu options”.
While some of Joe’s top customers have praised the move, many have voiced concerns that the change could make their favourite restaurants even more expensive.
Many restaurants, including Jacksons, P&Q, Lidl, Red Lobster, McDonalds and Domino’s, have already started phasing their Asian and Mediterranean options out, and have also recently announced plans to do the same for their American and Greek options.